Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Maid in the Master Bedroom

Believe me, I'm no feminist, I look forward to nurseries and cookies and laundry as much as the next girl. Having said that however, I would love to know at what point my generation of women decided it was OK to ignore women's progress altogether. Since when was it OK to give up your identity for a man?? Didn't our moms teach us better than that? Over the past couple years, I've seen countless girls give up their career plans, dreams, friends and even religions for a man. Girls, no one is worth that. No amount of financial security or high powered your-kids-will-be-cute-and-smart sperm is worth that. Relationships are about partnerships and compromise, not moving to his city and conforming to his dreams. It's particularly irritating to see women giving up their closest friends because a) they must, oh must, spend every waking moment with this perfect male specimen, or b) said male specimen has decided he doesn't like one or more of your friends. If he's concerned they're doing you harm, that's one thing. If he has a personality clash or character issue, then he's the one with the set and has every capability to address the situation.
I have every intention of getting married someday and having babies, when the Lord is ready for me to. Right now however, I have a dream to follow (namely, teaching), people to meet (namely, new friends) and places to see (namely....ok this list is WAAYYY too long). I'm proud of myself for making it on my own, maybe I don't have someone buying me diamonds or flowers or electronic equipment, but I work hard and that's my own reward.
So, Ladies, before you consider a life as a homemaker (read: I didn’t say stay at home mom, that’s a whole different ballgame) ,which is cool if you're doing something productive with your time: volunteering, substituting, something else good for the community, consider life as a person, as an individual entering into a partnership and not just a maid getting to live in the master bedroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment